What unique opportunities do the land and light afford you this time of year?
It’s nearly Solstice. As an artist, I celebrate long-light days by turning away from screens, toward an immersive summer of nature, writing, reading, and parenting. I don’t intend to reach out much; I need and want to stay as quiet as possible (however “quiet” a household can be with a 4-year-old-turned-bobcat-turned-pilot-turned-lemur can be).
As a landscape-lover, I celebrate this time by reflecting on the tremendous travel experiences I had, especially in Alaska, and how the connections forged during those journeys still shape who I am and how I live my life today. I completed some of the most significant writing of my career during my many visits and extended stays in the Last Frontier. Right now, my friends there are picking berries, readying for fish camp, and drinking up the sun. What unique opportunities do the land and light afford you this time of year?
Click through and explore this cache of writings from my trips to Alaska, when I published daily blog posts as a public sketchpad exploring the creative process, place-based narrative, heartbreak, longing, and creativity:
- AK 2010 (my first, most creatively explosive trip)
- Sitka, AK writings
- More: use search terms Anchorage, Last Frontier, or Book Tour via the search box found here
I’d love to learn more about your creative process Please CONTACT ME. I’d sincerely welcome the dialogue:
- What unique opportunities do the land and light afford you this time of year?
- How might those opportunities inform your creative process?
- If you could create a dream day for your creative self, what would it include?
- What’s one thing you can do right now to make that dream day a reality? (Do the one thing. Then tell me you did the one thing. For reals!)